FINAL GROUP PROJECT
A significant part of your grade this semester will be the delivery of a group project.
Students will be divided into teams of 2 to 4 members.
Within the teams, students will work together to write a proposal for the implementation of a data mart.
The proposal will be a business case study that could be presented to your management in an effort to support
and justify your request for the development of the data mart.
The proposal should articulate what subject(s) orientation the data mart will be built around,
why you feel that a data mart would be beneficial to your organization, and
what benefits you expect to derive from the implementation of the data mart.
You will also be responsible for creating such a data mart (or data warehouse) in your assigned database.
Your responsibility will be to create all necessary tables, as well as to populate those tables with actual or fictitious data.
Data need not be voluminous. Approximately 10-50 rows in each dimension table, and 100-200 rows in each fact table.
As part of this project, it is important to work as a group, as all students within a team will receive
the same grade for the group effort.
Additionally, each member of the team will also be graded independently based on the effort he/she contributed to the project.
Instructor will not get involved in any group discord
Your group project is important!
Yes, your project important, so take it seriously. That being said, the purpose of the project is to:
- Learn and apply critical knowledge obtained in this class.
- Give you the opportunity to work within a team setting to accomplish a defined goal.
Your project should include:
A project proposal write-up...
And the hands-on component...
- Cover letter, including name of data mart project and of participating students.
- Description of the business need, process and model at hand.
(You can choose any business model. Actual or fictitious, including actual model from your current work, or fictitious from retail, CRM, HR, etc.)
- Proposal for the development of the data mart
- Outline of business justifications and benefits
- Description and data detail of the dimension tables. At least 1 table must be conformed across 2 fact tables.
- Description and data detail of the fact tables. You should have a minimum of 2 fact tables.
- Model diagram of the Stars or Snowflakes schema models proposed
- Identification and explanation of the source systems for the data mart
- Detail description of the extract, transformation and load processes
- What technique type would you use for slowly changing dimensions, and why
- Whether aggregate tables will be deployed, and why or why not used
- Include two or three analytical queries (SQL code, and resulting output).
(For this, you need to complete the hands-on part below first.)
- Include at least one data mining technique with pretictive or projection analysis.
- Project proposal should be 10-20 Pages (single spaced or 1.5 spaced) in total excluding diagrams and query results.
- Actual creation of the data mart (professor will provide database)
- Create at least 2 Star Schemas
- Creation of the dimension and fact tables
- Loading of data rows into the tables
- Dimension tables should have between (10-50) rows each
- Fact tables should have between (100-200) rows each. Facts should include rows for multiple dates.
- Query of the data (SQL code) to obtain analytical reports of your choosing
- Data mining analysis with predictive outcome